Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nova Data Testing: An ounce of prevention can save a ton of money





Wikipedia defines preventative maintenance as:
1.    The care and servicing by personnel for the purpose of maintaining equipment and facilities in satisfactory operating condition by providing for systematic inspection, detection, and correction of incipient failures either before they occur or before they develop into major defects.
2.    Preventive maintenance can be described as maintenance of equipment or systems before fault occurs. It can be divided into two subgroups:

Here is a true story :
My name is Darrell Henderson and I am a technician and field inspector for Nova Data Testing. As of last week I am without a car. The other day I was driving my car from my home in Jacksonville, FL to my sister’s house in Kingsland, GA. I knew that my car needed an oil change soon and that my car also leaked oil, but I kept putting it off although I was warned of what could happen. I was told more than once, “Make sure your oil level is good and check it frequently, especially if you know the car has a small leak”.  Well I didn’t listen even after the oil light flickered on and off, on and off and I continued to ignore the warning signs.

One day after working out at the gym, I was on my way to my sister’s house in Kingsland. I felt good after the workout and proud of myself for taking the time to take care of my health.  As luck would have it I heard a loud rumbling sound from the engine compartment. Of course the car had waited for me to get on I-95 before reacting to its lack of lubrication. Maybe the timing was bad and it knew I had chosen gym time over oil checking time. When I pulled over to check out the problem guess what? No oil. This meant that I had probably been running nearly dry for a week or more. What could I do but place a call to the other Techs at Nova Data for a rescue. They showed up, gave me some oil which the car quickly sucked it all down. Unfortunately  it was too late and the damage was done. When I tried to start my car up all I got was a loud pop and some blue smoke. Now I’m paying the price for this error in more ways than one. Not only do I not have a car. For neglecting a $30.00 oil change I am now going to be out $2,000.00 for a new engine.

Oil change that suppose to happen.

Instead this happen "Blown motor"








What is the purpose of this sad but true tale?  Since I am an inspector it is an embarrassing story, although one that I felt needed to be shared. Nova Data Testing inspects all types of industrial equipment for many customers. However there are many who never bother to check their operating systems like piping, storage tanks and power boilers. If they do inspect equipment it might just be a quick check rather than a complete inspection. While most cars have only one owner to look after an oil change, industrial facilities have plenty of maintenance personnel and engineering support to track and document inspections. These plants also have the money and the time to develop precise and focused equipment testing. A blown engine might cost a few thousand dollars to repair but a ruptured boiler or storage tank can be in the millions. Remember that we all need to react to that flashing light on the dashboard.


The moral of the story:
Preventive maintenance is probably one of the biggest problems for failures.  Inspecting and maintaining a regular schedule on your equipment or facilities will keep costs down dramatically.  We have seen power boilers shut down due to pressure tubes exploding and bursting or tanks that had corrosion that led to leaks.  These can be prevented if the tank is inspected by a trained and certified technician.  Darrell was told plenty of times to check his oil and he just put it off one time too many.  Even though he was always concerned with the situation, he kept on pushing his car because he thought it could take another week or two without an oil change. A $30.00 oil change turned into a $2,000. 00 engine repair.  Just like a Full API-653 out of service inspection on a tank can range from $5,000.00-$10,000.00, a tank failure can cost up to $100,000.00 in repairs, inspections fee, fines from OSHA, and lost time.  That’s why it pays to do preventive maintenance on your equipment and facilities.

Nova Data Testing is a leader in Non-Destructive Testing.  To find out more about NDT Testing or to schedule an inspection, go to http://novadatatesting.com

1 comment: